Sugar Cookies With Honey Coated Cranberries & Walnuts

Friday, January 18, 2013 - Posted by Kristina Manente at 8:20 PM
I was having a craving for dessert, but there wasn't a whole lot in my dad's place fruit wise, which I was specifically in want of. However, given that my little brother is a very finicky eater, I thought maybe cookies would be a good thing to bake. He seemed excited at the idea anywho, and so, voila, sugar cookies! While I left some plain for the bro, the others I dotted with honey coated dried cranberries and walnuts. Delish. While I cheated and they came from a bag, to coat your own would be easy, just  dredge them in some honey and then bake them until crispy and shiny and lovely.

My little brother LOVED these. He exclaimed, "These are VEGAN?! No milk? No butter?" He said I could stay as long as I wanted. Dad agreed. I don't mind baking for rent. Easy.

The problem I find with a lot of sugar cookies are that they're too crispy, so when I rolled out the dough for these to cut, I left them a bit thicker. They puffed up a bit and what was left was a perfect sugar cookie. Delightful.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan room temp margarine
1/4 cup Almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Dried cranberries
Walnuts


DIRECTIONS

In a bowl, mix confectioner's sugar, salt, margarine, almond milk, and vanilla until combined and there's no clumps. Slowly stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough in half. and roll each dough half to 1/4 inchish thickness on a floured surface. Cut out in whatever shape you desire, sprinkle some granulated sugar on top and add cranberries and walnuts, pressing them into the down slightly. Bake 10 minutes or until edges just begin to turn golden brown.